
Making and using hibiscus dye…
Grinding up hibiscus flowers - about 1.5 dried flowers, most of which have been dumped off into the steeping cup for an overnight cold steep at this point.

After a night of cold steeping, it looks like the above. Added salt because reasons.

Filtering with toilet paper only sounds like a good plan until the paper rips.

A fine mesh strainer is a much better option.

The source for the dried hibiscus flowers. A pound is *way* more hibiscus than I expected. By a factor of 10, easily.

Testing the dye directly out of the steeping cup. The storage container isn’t quite clean - I’m curious if the dye will react with the latex paint drops in there.

Storage!

I really, really love this pre-reaction/drying color, but the dried color is a deep bluish lavender that’s also amazing.

Rinsing the brushes and the steeping cup - this is a very thin dilution of that insane lavender blue.
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/3dFgIix
via IFTTT
No comments:
Post a Comment